Charity: Jumping Kids Prosthetics Fund
I’m a 33-year-old graduate of corporate communications. I majored in marketing and publications and completed my postgraduate studies in business administration at Wits Business School. I’m a lower limb double amputee as a result of sustaining a 33,000-volt electrocution when I was 12. I know all too well about the personal challenges and financial costs involved in attempting to walk again which is why I chose to volunteer through the Vodacom Change the World initiative at Jumping Kids. I believe this initiative is an unmissable opportunity to ‘pay it forward’ and educate the greater public about what it means in real terms to lose a lower limb.
- Step-Up 500
- Warrior Race Series
- The Jumping Kids Golf day at The Els Club copper Leaf
- The Celebrity Cycle Tour
- The blades project
- Involved in electrical accident in 1992, aged 12
- Suffered 3rd degree burns to 70% of his body
- Lower limb double amputee as a result of accident
- Over 50 operations before I was 14 years old.
- Was told I’d never walk, couldn’t cope with normal school and in court documents referred to by doctors and other educated professionals as a man with no legs and gross bodily deformations. Who could not be expected to gain work requiring any physicality or customer interaction. A person of limited opportunities.
- Went back to my mainstream school
- By 16 was walking and fully mobile.
- In 1999 back packed around Europe, New York and the Caribbean
- Graduated with distinction from University
- Number 1 in the BMW graduate program
- Back packed around the world in 2006
- Youngest sales manager in the BMW and Barlow group 2007
- Started own property investment business in 2009
- Put it all on hold to change the world in 2013!
More about Jumping Kids:
- Prosthetic Fund to supply and maintain lower limb prosthetics for children aged 1-18 years.
- Beneficiaries are mainly from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Organisation aims to tackle the high cost of quality prosthetic solutions and grow to be a centre of excellence for child amputation, rehabilitation and prosthetic solutions.
- Jumping Kids aims to identify, evaluate & select candidates and commit to their prosthetics for three-years
- They aim to provide beneficiaries with :
- standard leg
- sports leg
- new socket annually
- walking training
- sporting opportunities