Charity: Angels of Tomorrow Community Support Centre
Lebo is in her final year, studying towards BA Language and Literature. She volunteered at the South African based City Year at Jabavu Primary School to assist with English literacy and Mathematics in 2008. She has also been the administrator and liaison officer for more than one NPO since 2009 to date. Lebo also writes.
She has been selected for a second term as a Vodacom Change the World Volunteer at Angels of Tomorrow Community Support Centre.
Angels of Tomorrow Community Support Centre is serving communities in Mafikeng and Klerksdorp. They aim to, inter alia:
- Improve the quality of life of children, women and youth by encouraging positive living and methods of preventing HIV and AIDS and Gender Based Violence;
- Create work for unemployed youth;
- Promote the culture of reading in schools and the community by establishing libraries and after care programmes
During Lebo’s first year on the programme, she set up libraries and associated infrastructure i.e. the refurbishing/cleaning old classes, renovating a bus, building a log house and book acquisition: The main focus in the coming year will be on:
- The actual promotion of literacy. Global studies show that South African children do very badly compared to other countries when it comes to literacy. This is because many children do not have access to early childhood centres where they can be stimulated through play, songs, storytelling and reading.
- Starting reading clubs in the schools that they now have functional libraries in and one at their Community Centres in Seweding.
- Continuing to celebrate Literacy Days.